This post-qualifying supervision training for counsellors is designed for experienced counsellors and psychotherapists from a variety of theoretical backgrounds and specialisms who would like to develop the skills and knowledge to become competent clinical supervisors. The course consists of experiential exercises, theoretical input, skills practice sessions, case studies and time for reflecting on one’s own practice.
The subjects covered include:
- The tasks, functions, responsibilities and accountabilities of the supervisor, supervisee and also of the context in which the supervision takes place (such as the organisation and professional bodies that could be overseeing the work).
- Key theories of supervision i.e. Hawkins and Shohet, Brigid Proctor, Francesca Inskipp, Page & Wosket etc.
- Group supervision versus one to one supervision,
- Managing ethical dilemmas and professional complaints as well as understanding and working within the professional and ethical requirements appropriate to the students’ professional body and the organisations within which they may be working.
Course dates: (9:30am – 4:30pm each day):
- Saturday 7th / Sunday 8th September 2019
- Saturday 5th / Sunday 6th October 2019
- Saturday 2nd / Sunday 3rd November 2019
- Saturday 30th November / Sunday 1st December 2019
- Saturday 4th / Sunday 5th January 2020
If you wish to continue from this Certificate level qualification then there is a ‘bolt-on’ weekend to gain a full diploma in Supervision the date of which is :
- 16th and 17th May 2020. This carries an additional fee of £270.00
The lead tutor
Jon Wilson Cooper started his professional therapeutic career in the mid-80s by working in therapeutic communities with people with severe mental health difficulties as well as drug and alcohol problems. Over the next two decades he worked as a manager and consultant/trainer all over England, for two years in America and a year in India. He started formally supervising others from 1990 and continues conducting therapeutic and management supervision to this day.
Jon graduated as a Gestalt psychotherapist in 1995 and set up in private practice; this includes one to one therapy and supervising individuals and groups of counsellors/psychotherapists working with a wide range of client groups and with diverse theoretical orientations.
Jon went on to gain a a qualification in supervision with a postgraduate certificate in Professional Practice (with merit at level 7 masters) awarded by University College Plymouth 15th January 2010.
Jon was Head of the Foundation Degree in Person Centred counselling at Harrow College for a decade and was recently Head of the Foundation Degree in Humanistic Counselling at The Metanoia Institute, London.
Jon is also Director of The Albany Centre and was previously the Chair of the Board of Trustees of Signpost Youth Counselling Service for three years.
Guest speakers are invited to take part throughout the course; they are hired for their particular experience in delivering and managing counselling services in diverse settings.
“Definitely the best course I have ever done. Thoroughly enjoyable and challenging but also personalised – I felt it met my needs and I could choose what and how I learnt.”
“I have felt supported throughout.”
“Stimulating and fun. Positive, non-judgmental atmosphere. Very good learning experience.”
Please make sure you check the course requirements on this link before applying.
There will be assignments set between each weekend (mainly practical in nature) and at the end of the course a case study (4,000 words +/- 10%) is submitted. All the work will be assessed and marked; the qualification is awarded on attainment of a pass mark.
The cost of the course is £1800.00 for the Certificate. Payment options are as follows:
- Full course fees in advance: a 5% discount will be available for those wishing to pay the full course fees up front (£1710.00) by
- BACS transfer (
HSBC, sort code 40-40-01, account 42200066) or
- by cheque (please make cheques payable to The Albany Centre and send to our address).
- BACS transfer (
- Fees by instalments (BACS) – the course fee is £1800.00 comprising:
- £300 non-refundable deposit
- direct debit mandate
- 5 x instalments of £300 (5th September, 5th October, 5th November, 5th December, 5th January).
If you wish to go on to gain the Diploma by joining us for an additional ‘bolt-on’ weekend the fee is £270.00.
If you have more questions or need more information please follow the next links: